Wednesday 23 June 2010

Baking fest!




First up it was a coffee and walnut cake using this recipe from Nigel Slater.  I've tried a number of C & W recipes but this was the best yet and got 10 out of 10 from some visitors as well as those 'in house'.  It's hubby's favourite so appropriate for Father's day I think.

Then there was this little number


which looks slightly sad in the photo but was delicious.  It is a 'Damp lemon and almond cake' by Nigella, recipe here and in her book "How to be a Domestic Goddess".  I think I would probably add some kind of icing or creme fraiche and raspberries if I were to do it again as it needed just a little something to set off the sharpness of the lemon and the density of the ground almonds.

Then there had to be more of this


'Cinnamon Bun popcorn" only this time I used real butter and not a butter blend and halved the time in the oven as my fan oven seems to be very quick indeed and it was much better than before!  Recipe here in case you didn't get it last time.  And if you are in the UK and like me haven't a clue where to get almond bark from then just use milky bars which work out really fine for the topping.

So I guess this side of the weekend as the cakes are now eaten (last piece of the C & W  for hubby with a cup of tea any moment now) we are all several pounds heavier - well maybe not!!!


2 comments:

driftwood said...

mmmmm I've never made coffee and walnut cake.......
yummy x
love the new header too btw x

Tracy said...

You've been delicious busy in the kitchen, Sheila... so many tasty results! Thank you for sharing them with us... mmm... I feel my sweet tooth aching! ;o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Thoughtful Wednesday

"Our goal should be to live life in radical amazement – to get up in the morning and look at the world in a way that takes noth...