Wednesday 10 February 2010

It's not all about paper.....

No, as much as I am loving paper, paint, stamps and all things mixed media right now, I am keeping up the fibre arts just as well.  In fact I have discovered a new love!  Prayer shawls!  I discovered this over the Christmas holiday when a new friend mentioned she had been to a prayer shawl workshop. I was immediately attracted to the idea as she told me more.  A simple idea really, and another way to show love and care to those who need it.  You just need to think of someone who would really benefit from knowing that they are supported and cared for just now - maybe someone who has suffered a bereavement, the news of a delibitating illness, is struggling with depression and sadness, or a host of other things that life thows at us and which can make life messy and difficult.  The idea then is to pick some yarn you think that person would like and to knit them a shawl (there are a number of lovely patterns about and see the link below for the book on the subject).  While you are knitting that shawl take the time to pray (or think good thoughts) for that person. Then when you have finished present the shawl with a gift card which expresses your love and care.  The fact that it comes saturated with the prayers, thoughts and blessings somehow woven into the fibre means so much to the recipient and is a constant source of encouragement through their difficult days.
More info from this book: Prayer Shawl Companion.  So I have made two already and sent one out to a good friend in the US who lost her mother just before Christmas.  Here are a couple of pictures:

I made this up in yarn I already had - a James Brett acrylic and made up the crochet edging


this one was made up again with yarn from my stash and there's a boy who seems to approve of it.
I'm on to shawl number 3 now which I am making for my mother in law as she struggles with her health and ever decreasing mobility. And one day I would love to start a prayer shawl group.... who knows....

2 comments:

driftwood said...

what a lovely gift, made with love xoxox
one day my knitting will be good enough for a project that big x

Tracy said...

These are really lovely, Sheila--beautiful yarns! I love prayer shawls and all the thoughts and intentions behind their making for uplifting a person/recipient when they need it most--literally wrapping them in love. I enjoy making them too, the make wonderful gifts. And kitties love anything yarn-related too... ;o) Wishing you & your a sweet Valentine weekend ahead, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

Thoughtful Wednesday

"Our goal should be to live life in radical amazement – to get up in the morning and look at the world in a way that takes noth...