Wednesday 22 April 2009

The Treasure Box




Some time ago, my dear quilting and crafty friend and 'Anam Cara (soul friend) discovered she had a tumour on her liver and the prognosis was 12 - 18 months.  Last Thursday she went back to the oncologist and discovered that it is likely to be 6 - 9 months!!  She is an amazing woman and full of life and vitality nonetheless.  When I first found out, I made plans to surprise her and on Thursday was able to deliver a treasure box made to 'brighten dull days'.  I covered a shoe box in some lovely fabric I bought in a French market (on the borders of Switzerland) last year while on holiday and then wrapped a lot of little things I knew she would enjoy.  Some of these I have been collecting (a heart made out of dried rosebuds, a scented candle, some patchwork tissues, some special magazines) and some things I have made (felted ball bracelet).  The instructions were that she could use this as a lucky dip box when she felt a bit down or dreary and she might find something to lighten and brighten the day ahead.  It was a delight to make it and I am really hoping it will give her delight in the way she has delighted so many people with her thoughtfulness over the years.  And I am praying that there may be more time than the doctors think for her to be on this earth.  She is a very special lady and I and many others will miss her very much.

2 comments:

driftwood said...

what a truly special gift, thinking of you both. xxx

Tracy said...

What a lovely parcel...it will be loved, Sheila! I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. Thoughts and prayer to her that her time may be longer yet. :o) Thinking of you both... ((HUGS))

Thoughtful Wednesday

"Our goal should be to live life in radical amazement – to get up in the morning and look at the world in a way that takes noth...